For the second time in a month a very large jackpot has been delayed in getting paid due to problems with a group ticket.
While group tickets make a lot of sense (pooling of funds to purchase more tickets) there are guidelines that need to be followed to ensure that when you win you get paid in a timely manner.
Here is a list of procedures on how to play a group ticket.
- Choose one person to act as the Group Play Captain to coordinate the group members and collect payments.
- Create a list of all group play members. Clearly state the jackpot amount, draw date, cost per play and cut-off time for payment.
- All names of members of a group should be recorded for each draw.
- The Group Play Captain should sign the ticket immediately after the purchase. Write “In Trust” by the signature line to show that this is a group play ticket.
- Make photocopies or a computer scan of the ticket for each group member, so everyone has a copy of the selected numbers.
- Save a copy, update and resend any new tickets to each group member every time the group plays.
- If you plan to go on vacation before a draw, make sure you pay your group captain in advance, and have those payments documented.
- If you believe you have won the lottery, validate the ticket at an authorized lottery retailer.
Each provincial lottery corporation provides a template for group players.
You can get the appropriate form here.
Quebec – Prints tickets for each member of the group. Please contact your local retailer for more details.